Monday, July 8, 2013

Purpose

Althouse has closed comments! ARGH!

This is frustrating as Hell to a comment junkie such as myself. Althouse has explained why she has shut down comments here and here and here. And later, here and here.

Personally, I would like to see at least a part of the comment community live on, without having to go through the problem of banging Meade's patience into the dirt.

So that's what this is, at least experimentally. I've got a couple of blogs of my own (one singular, one group), but I don't want to clutter those up with this project.

So here's what I'm going to do, at least for the moment, and perhaps only as long as it takes for Althouse to tell me to stop:

I am going to comment on the posts she puts up, but only those that interest me. Then, others can comment on my comments, or whatever. This seems like fair blogging etiquette to me.

Here's what I'm not going to do: put up an Amazon portal, or put in BlogAds, or do anything else designed to profit off of Professor Althouse's output. This blog is purely reactive, and anything else I have to say I will say elsewhere.

Furthermore, I am not going to tolerate any nonsense in the comments. I do not mind arguments, or even name calling. But by God, you had better be contributing something instead of just pissing all over the place. I should be able to get by avoiding initial problems simply by being obscure. If a large chunk of the blog commentariat follows me here, then it may become an issue. I have a plan, in that case, and it is something of a nuclear option. If it comes to that I will select the people I view as decent, upstanding blog commenters and make them members, and then I will only allow team members to comment.

So that last is the nuclear option, and I only expect that to happen if more than two people show up to comment. And that is that.

6 comments:

Lem said...

Thanks for the invitation.

I had the same thing as this in mind when last night I set up my own blog to be able to do what I used to do over at Althouse.

Great minds... You are welcome at my site any time.

El Pollo Raylan said...

I'm going to recklessly spew my seminal thoughts as many places as possible now that the old place is so chaperoned!

Thanks for the invite, icepick!

Icepick said...

Hey. I've added Lem's new blog to the blog roll.

And as I said, feel free to invite non-knuckleheads to this place. Your opinions of who is or isn't a knucklehead are probably different than mine, but that's okay as long as we avoid the really toxic people, or the really stupid people.

Lem said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lem said...

I only read a small circle of people. But I did ran into some bothersome commenters now and again and sometimes I did said something and sometimes I thought it would not lead to anything productive.

Thanks for adding me to the blog roll. When I learn how to do that myself I will reciprocate.

Lem said...

Quip pro quo...

Nice quip Pollo.